Blogger Muslimah Indonesia

Blogger Muslimah Indonesia

KEB

KEB

Visit My Other Blog in Bahasa Indonesia

Muslimah Bloggers

Tags

About Me

About Me
Diah is here! Mom of three boys.

My Sons Ramadan Fasting After Day One

Post a Comment
Here is Ramadan, the month of fasting. We, muslims, embrace it happily. And so are my sons. They start to fast for a whole day this Ramadan. They are 7 and 8 now, so I think it's the best time to encourage them to fast more seriously.
First of Ramadan 1438 H was a success. Eventhough my elder son broke his fasting one hour after Zuhur salah, but it was ok for me because he decided to continue fasting after that. All of those struggles and drama can be read here: My Sons and Their First Day of Ramadan
Second Day of Ramadan
My husband and I didn't expect something better than the day before. We just continued encouraging our sons, woke them up for suhoor and supported their fasting.
On the second day, it was Sunday actually, we stayed for the whole day at my husband's office which is actually his family's house. My sons love to stay there due to its wifi connection. Yes, we let them entertaining themselves by playing games, watching videos and things like that. As they had some fun, I blogged and my husband did his overtime work.
The day went smoothly until just before noon, my second son started to ask for some drink.

"Mommy, I'm thirsty," he said.

"No, you can't have some drink. You are fasting, aren't you?" I reminded him.

He nodded sadly. Then I got a great idea.

"Why don't you have a shower before Zuhur salah? You will be fresher."

My son looked happy and he did what I told him. Then my first son came to join him to have a shower.
Alhamdulillah, everything went well after that. No grumbling, no complaining. And you know what? They made it to the iftar time! Allah is Great!
Third Day of Ramadan
This day was special because my sons would spend their whole day at school. There was a Ramadan activity called 'Pondok Ramadan' where students learn more religious activity with their teachers.

They did salah, recited and read the Holy Quran, watched Islamic movie, made some crafts and many more activities. They had iftar at school as well.
That day, there were no drama at all. And they succeeded in fasting for a whole day. Alhamdulillah.
Fourth Day of Ramadan
After the two successful consecutive days, I felt less worry about my sons and their fasting. I once thought that that day would be as successful as the day before. But, I was wrong. My second son who used to be a more discipline person than my first son turned into someone else. He told me that he had hungry already at 8 in the morning. You what, Son?
"I'm hungry," he said.

"It's only 8 in the morning," I answered him.
Unfortunately, at 10 my assistant came to clean the house. She brought the meal for iftar with her. My second son asked what she had brought and opened the pot lid.

"Yummy..." he said.
I need to tell you one thing first, due to my pregnancy, I didn't cook for my family. I couldn't stand with any smell came from onion and garlic. So, I paid somebody to cook for me. Then my assistant brought the cooked meal everyday for my family and I. And that was where the iftar meal came from.
Without any doubt, when Zuhur salah approached, my second son cooked rice for himself. He prepared his meal and had his 'iftar' right after Zuhur adhan. And his brother followed his step happily.
What a day. I said to myself. Yes, I understood they might be tired due to their activities the day before at school. But, I also concerned about their willing to continue fasting. However, I needed to tell them that what they had done was something not right. My husband did the same thing when he got home from his work.
Alhamdulillah, my sons could accept our arguments and promised us to do better next time. And they keep their promise. Although not everyday is a successful day but at least they have tried.
I know they still need to work hard but I believe they will be better and better in the future.
Diah Dwi Arti
Diah Dwi Arti
Muslimah | Madiun, Indonesia | Mom of three | email: diah.d.arti [at] gmail.com

Related Posts

Post a Comment